Friday, October 15, 2010

Dear Ole Roosevelt......

Two Homecomings in the same weekend.....Gary Roosevelt and Indiana University!!  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend Roosevelt's activities this weekend.  I remember as a child, I always wanted to go to Roosevelt! My grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, and cousins all went to 'Velt.  In the summer of 82, I remember walking....yes walking....up to Roosevelt to participate in Summer Band.  That summer and the summers to follow were dedicated to Marching in that heat! Fast Forward to the fall of 1986.-I was the drum major of the best band in the City...hands down!  I remember how hard we practiced for Homecoming to make sure our steps were precise.   We lined up on 21st Ave to start the our homecoming parade.....BAND ATTENTION!! PANTHERS 1-2!!  As we came down Broadway and rounded 25th...we played DEAR OLE' ROOSEVELT and the people were going crazy!!  We were all so proud....school pride was so big back then.......fast forward to halftime....We marched onto the field with Russell Dennie (RIP) playing that bass guitar and the drum section with that cadence......we lost that game by the way....With that being said: 2-5 GET LIVE! GET ALL THE WAY LIVE!! GO PANTHERS and BEAT West Side! *side note* I still can dance and I remember the steps, too....lmbo!!

2 comments:

  1. OH WOW GEN,

    I TOO MISS ATTENDING ALOT OF GARY ROOSEVELT EVENTS BEING GONE SO LONG. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A RITUAL FOR THOSE OF GARY TOO. I NEVER HAVE MISSED MY CLASS REUNIONS AND LOOKING FORWARD TO MY UPCOMING. ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND SIS! GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi....I just read your LinkedIn profile where it stated you WERE a Supervisor at the USPS, but now your own boss. I just wanted to say "Congratulations" to you. I am a Supervisor in the Plant (Gateway District) and my dream is to resign (quit....lol) and start my own business. You have truly inspired me today. A person never know who they may inspire.

    Thank you!!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete