Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Late Night Politics

It's about 3:00 AM and I can not sleep. Nothing's wrong...just one of those nights/mornings.  I am actually doing some laundry, so all is not lost on the lack of sleep.....I can hear the wind rustling outside my window as it is storming.....

Next week, in my hometown of Gary, which I mostly refer to as the "G", is election day.  History is bound to be made within the mayoral race. The 2 front-runners are both African-American Women! By Lake County being a democratic machine, the winner will most likely become mayor.  Over the past few weeks, I have been in debate with people over who I would vote for and the reasons why.  Although I am unable to vote because of my residency, I would encourage all that are registered to vote in the G, to vote!! The usual dismal voter turnout percentage of 35-40% is not what is needed. In order to get your voice heard, you must exercise your right to vote. If you don't vote, you definitely have no grounds to complain any decisions that will be made that will affect the city. The G has been in turmoil for years. So realistically, how can the new Mayor turn the city around in 30 days, 90 days, a full term?  Please don't expect that.....some will though-real talk! Progression to a better city is what I would expect. If you are still undecided, there is a mayoral forum scheduled on April 30th. I would encourage you to attend and try to get your questions answered. Read the local newspapers, Email or "Facebook" the candidates, go to the forum, click on the Ustream links, etc.! What I am getting at is this: AN INFORMED VOTER IS A WISE VOTER!

So much for that....my loads are done. Maybe I can get these last 3 hours in.....Night....Night......

No comments:

Post a Comment